Craft Care Specialists
We’re here for veterans in communities across America.
HEAL VETS developed the Craft Care Specialist program in 1994 in an effort to augment hospital staff and to ensure that all veteran patients have the opportunity to integrate arts & crafts into their prescribed therapy. Craft Care Specialists (CCSs) are employees of HEAL VETS who work at designated medical facilities and Community Based Crafts centers throughout the country.
CCSs have diverse backgrounds, ranging from artists and teachers to retirees of various professions. Some are even veterans themselves. They serve in communities of all different types, but their mission is one and the same.
Craft Care Specialists enhance the ability of HEAL VETS to reach more veteran patients, often introducing them to the healing power of the arts for the very first time.
- Reach as many veterans as possible who would likely benefit from “craft therapy.”
- Involve arts & crafts activity in overall treatment plans for veterans.
- Facilitate social interaction by teaching new skills.
- Provide opportunity for veterans to creatively express themselves.
- Instill an appreciation for the arts.
- Promote involvement in arts – independent of treatment.
- Increase awareness of programs.
- Increase awareness of CCS position.
- Increase volunteer hours.
- Increase public awareness of important role of veterans in all our lives.
Click here for locations and to contact a Help Heal Veterans Craft Care Specialist near you.